The lead generation is based on expanding the database of a brand contacts with individuals or companies potentially interested in their products and services. We call each of these contacts a “lead”, that is, a person or company that has shown interest in the offer of a brand and has shown such interest by leaving their data.
The lead generation is a key step in the process of inbound marketing because it allows you to convert traffic to our channels into valuable contacts for the brand, then we can go running along the funnel to get them to become customers .
The lead generation process step by step
The lead generation process begins by attracting visitors to the brand’s website. Generally, this traffic will be directed to a landing page or “landing page” , which will be destined to get new contacts. A very common strategy is to offer the user valuable content, such as a free ebook, a product test or a webinar, in exchange for their contact details.
In turn, this landing page or landing page will be optimized to encourage conversions. Generally, it will include a brief description of the benefits of the content offered, focusing on what it can contribute to the user and not on its technical characteristics. Here we can also find the form that the user must fill in with their data. After filling in the form and pressing the “Send” button or similar, the user will be incorporated into the database, will be sent or offered to download the content in question and will be shown a thank you page.
Each of the users who have left their information will become part of the brand’s database and will become a lead. However, not all leads have the same value, and not all leads immediately translate into a purchase. This is where lead scoring and lead nurturing strategies come into play.
The lead scoring is a marketing technique that involves assigning a score to each lead to identify more likely to become customers have. In this way, it is possible to adapt the tactics to the status of each lead and focus on those who have the best chances to convert.
Normally, we distinguish between three types of leads:
- Cold lead . This person has left us their data, but it is still very far from the moment of conversion, that is, it is in the TOFU or “top of the funnel” phase.
- Qualified Lead for Marketing (MQL). This person has already shown interest in the brand on several occasions and we have surely been able to obtain more information about it. It is therefore in the MOFU or “middle of the funnel” phase. In this phase, content will begin to be sent to users that deepen their need and the role of the brand to satisfy it.
- Qualified Lead for Sales (SQL). This person has already gone through all the pre-qualification phases and is ready to receive a phone call, a visit or a demonstration from the sales team. We are in the BOFU or “bottom of the funnel” phase.
The lead nurturing is the process of preparing and accompany the leads along the life cycle, providing a series of contents, actions and interactions personalized based on the phase where they are and their interests. Marketing automation can make this whole process easier.
The most common lead generation channels
Although it is also possible to generate leads with offline tools in Inbound Marketing, we are going to focus on the most common sources of lead generation in digital marketing :
- Email marketing.Email can be suitable both for engaging first-time users and for maintaining contact with them with lead nurturing actions. Segmentation is essential for this tool to be successful.
- SEM. Search engine ads (such as Google Ads) are a very suitable channel for generating leads, since they allow us to guide our actions based on the terms searched by users. The normal thing is to create groups of related search terms, with ads and landing pages that match what users are looking for at a certain time.
- Display campaigns. Although banners have a reputation for being intrusive, if they are used wisely they can be a good means of capturing the attention of the target audience and encouraging them to leave us their details.
- Advertising on social networks.Some social ad platforms, like Facebook, even have ads specially designed to capture leads without the need for users to leave the social network. It is also possible to use social networks organically to generate quality traffic to our website.
- Content Marketing. Branded content (for example, blog articles) are a good place to introduce lead generation campaigns, for example, by presenting a report that the user can download for free in exchange for leaving us their data.
- Video advertising. Thanks to the possibility of embedding banners within a video, we can incorporate lead generationinto our audiovisual content.
How to generate more leads with your inbound marketing
These general recommendations will help you multiply the results of your lead generation strategy:
- Produce quality content. Content has a double function in the lead generation strategy: on the one hand, it helps us to attract quality traffic to our website or blog, and on the other, it serves to attract users and convince them to leave their data to us. exchange of ebooks, guides, reports and other downloadable.
- Analyze your distribution strategy. Not only is it necessary to produce quality content, but also to ensure that it reaches users. Think about how you can use SEO and SEM tools to multiply quality traffic.
- Optimize your forms. Forms are the means through which a visitor becomes a lead, so they are a critical point of contact. Make sure they are adapted to different devices, try to have as few fields as possible, and try different calls to action.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. And speaking of testing, don’t hesitate to A / B test different aspects of your lead generation campaigns: search engine ads, form design, landing pages … Only then will you know what works best with your target audience.
- Track the results. In any marketing strategy, measurement is essential. Spend the time necessary to establish what your key metrics or KPIs are (total leads, qualified leads, visitors per lead …) and establish regular checks to see how they are evolving and how you could improve.
We hope this information has helped you to better understand how the lead generation process works and how to use inbound marketing strategies to convert web traffic into customers.
If you want to launch your own lead generation campaigns or optimize your company’s recruitment processes, at Cyberclick we have a lot to offer you. We will be happy to collaborate with your team to help you generate more and better marketing leads.